Clean up inside and out; that’s website maintenance
We maintain our health and appearance. Our sites need maintenance as well.
Be aware search engines know a fresh site from a stale site, muddled code from clean, and fast-loading from pokey. Old and stale does not improve rankings, instead it diminishes them. You can hire a freelance website professional for website maintenance even if they did not build your site. Or, learn it yourself.
Whether you perform these tasks in-house or outsource to a professional, the following are (some) proper and important website maintenance practices — yes, even if you use WordPress templates.
- Verify proper coding with a website validator (usually free)
- Clean coding enables faster results from search queries
- Keep content fresh particularly if you have a News or Blog page
- Keep images and videos fresh, change them out periodically
- Blog pages should be checked consistently for spam or challenging comments
- Have a policies page and a privacy practices page active on your site
- Correct page errors and repair broken links
- Plug-ins and themes should be updated timely
- Adjustments/edits should be cross-browser effective, responsive, and mobile-friendly
- Update your services and products especially if you have e-commerce
- Ensure pages load quickly (web surfers have no patience, they don’t need it)
- Activate and use Google Analytics regularly
Your website is your persistent presence and should be sparkling and orderly, even without e-commerce.
See this page for general website preparatory tips.
Keep current and hold integrity
Website maintenance is not inclusive (and completely separate) in web design jobs.
Website maintenance contractor provides regular, written* updates/logs of labor performed to ensure clarity and consistency in work. (*Written includes email or fax.)
Site owner(s) provides clear, written instructions on requests and changes prior to job (whether ongoing or singular). (*Written includes email or fax.)
We offer monthly website maintenance plans which can include social media and SEO.
Ready for help ? (530) 401.6096